Term: January 18, 2020 to March 29, 2021
Greater Sudbury Market Association
Looking for someone to be a critical part of the success and advancement of the Greater
Sudbury Market. The Manager will uphold the Market's key values of supporting local farmers
and encouraging Market sustainability. The creation of a culture of community-based
relationships is central to the Market's organizational integrity.
The Greater Sudbury Market Association is a non-profit organization operating The Market
of Greater Sudbury, Ontario. Our mission is to connect residents and visitors of Greater
Sudbury with local farmers, producers, and artisans with an emphasis on fresh, locally grown
and made food, and handmade goods. We aim to provide a safe, accommodating and
accessible, multi-use space for all members of the community offering memorable experiences
for both customers and vendors.
The primary responsibility of the Market Manager will be the day-to-day operation of The Market
in cooperation with the Board of Directors. For the 2020-2021 season, this position will involve
an average of 25 hours per week from April to October and 17 hours per week from October
until March (as needed). Hours will include working on-site at The Market during operational
hours and one to two hours before and after official operational times for setup and tear down.
Hours will also include off-site work during non-market times. In addition, the manager will be a
representative of The Market to the various vendors, consumers, and the community as a
● Meet and liaise with Board of Directors
● Vendor recruitment and management
● Community outreach
● Promotion of the market through digital and other media platforms
● Writing and sending weekly newsletters throughout the season (e.g. Mailchimp)
● Coordination of special events at the market
● Handling of vendor fees
● Coordinating procurement
● Develop and maintain a good working relationship with the various stakeholders such as
customers, vendors, community partners and volunteers
● Arrive prior to market opening and remain on-site during operational hours to:
○ Be a representative of the Greater Sudbury Market Association.
○ Ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to including health and safety
○ Answer questions for vendors and consumers
○ Resolve disputes that arise
○ Maintain market grounds in a safe manner
○ Conduct periodic customer counts to assess level of growth in market usage.
Required Skills & Qualifications
● Valid G Class Driver’s License, proof of insurance for business use, and access to a
● Good interpersonal and communication skills
● Minimum 3 years’ experience in sales, retail or in a business role
● Self-motivated and able to work independently
● Able to work outside, on your feet for extended periods of time, and able to lift 50lbs
● Prioritizing, organization and time management skills
● Record keeping and cash handling essential
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
● Professional experience with social media and marketing
● Strong leadership skills
● Abilities to enforce policies and procedures
● Conflict resolution and troubleshooting experience
● Customer service experience
● Bilingualism is an asset
● Valid CPR and First Aid certification
Deadline for applications is December 30, 2019 at 8PM EDT. Availability by January 18th is preferred. Interviews will be held between January 2nd and January 9th.
Please send a cover letter and resume to
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.